Monday, March 6, 2017

a night on the town...


...last Thursday, when my favorite people took me to the Fox Theater in mid-town Atlanta. We went to see "The Phantom of the Opera". We have a 'history' with that play, as it is one we went to see when they were still in high school - at least fifteen years ago. My, oh my, where does the time go?



The first time it was a Field Trip. They were both in the chorus at school, and I guess anyone who was in the choir could attend if their parents had been willing to buy the ticket. Only thing I really recall is sitting high up in the nose bleed section and the people on stage looking like ants. After the show got underway last week, I did recall some of the songs/music. And the Phantom, having abducted his hearts' desire, polling through the fog in the semi-dark, spiriting her away to his lair.

I don't think I really knew what was going on 'way off down there, all those years ago, when I saw it with a group of antsy of teenagers, and honestly do not recall much other than that. (Probably completely stressed out by being the chauffeur driving into downtown Atlanta, with a pile of kids bouncing in the back seat.)So, I cannot say I truly enjoyed what I saw last week, as I did not know  enough about the plot to follow the story line. The most impressive part was special effects. The phantom kept setting off fireworks. It was amazing, when something stupendous and unexpected occurred, catching us all by surprise.

I had been lobbying for something interesting to see at the Fox, and when this came along, I was ready. Made myself available - as I would do any time I was offered an opportunity to go for amusement with my most favorite people. We went to a sandwich shop on the way in, for eats before the show. I had something  markedly un-memorable, and only ate half of my sandwich, so ate the other half when we got back to Decatur.   Lots of things are better as left-overs: stew, soup, spaghetti, sandwiches from Nonis.




No comments:

Post a Comment