Friday, June 28, 2013

yeah... that's what we are...

I went to Walmart after dark, to exchange the kind of wet cat food they do not like, for the kind they do. They are highly opinionated, and expressed in no uncertain terms their concerns about me buying the wrong kind. It was completely unacceptable, and I stand corrected.

While I was there, I put another $20 on a card to go across the parking lot and buy gas for ten cents cheaper - and about fifteen cents cheaper than any place nearby. And about twenty cents cheaper than everything I saw when I drove to Valdosta and back this week.

When I was walking out of the store, and noticed: yet another person who deliberately got 'dressed up' in their sleepwear to go shopping, I had a little light bulb come on over my head. So I came straight home to let you know about my brilliance. I've been gnashing my teeth for months, if not years, observing people who go to the grocery store in pajamas, or most any other attire that makes me think "their mama don't know" what they are out in public looking line. I have yet to stop any of these people and actually accost them with the question: 'Does your mama know?', but find myself getting closer and closer to confronting. Probably only holding on to the thinnest thread of self-control, due to thinking of how thoroughly mortified my children would be, if I got arrested for making such a huge scene.

When I saw that girl, who was probably ten or twelve, she was actually with her family. Which means they  apparently approved her shopping 'costume', consisting of one piece, full coverage, but skin-tight pajama outfit. Hopefully she had just sort of outgrown it? But I suddenly realized that I took my own personal family shopping in their pj's when they were small. They would take baths, get pajamas, or oversized T-shirt  nighties, put on little homemade flannel bathrobes, with bears or cats, or trains printed all over. And we would go to the grocery store.

With the little orange and yellow plastic shopping carts, that had a basket just big enough to hold two cans of beans. It was a really big deal. And long before the era of wallyworld, to say nothing of this current 'style' (term very loosely applied) of wearing underwear for outerwear and sleepwear out in public. So there! Look how Fashion Forward we were twenty-five years ago... 'way out ahead of the curve! How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment