Monday, June 17, 2013

the exitement is over....

This is probably the last new flash about the millipedes.I guess their reproductive urges have finally dwindled down to a trickle. When I walked through the kitchen this morning there were only two that I noticed in passing... I didn't even stop to get the broom and do battle. They obviously don't realize how little time they have to eat a few crumbs before curling up and getting crispy.

If all they are capable of is looking for a mate, and enjoying the 'condemned man's last meal', they won't be around long...suffering the fate of the well-known passenger pigeon. I will go and sweep,flush, to eliminate the natural urges of the two remaining in captivity and hopefully put an end to the swarming that has been going on in my kitchen for days. I guess I'd rather have millipedes than think about something far worse - and destructive. You know if you see what you surmise must be flying ants, you probably have something munching away on the wood in your house. So it could have been much worse...

I remember one year when we had this amazing problem with ladybugs: they were everywhere! It was much too late in the year for bugs to be reproducing and I was completely baffled. Then realized they must have gotten a free ride when I brought in house plants that had summered in the back yard. I guess there was a colony that had taken up residence in a hanging basket, planned on a long nap, then came indoors where the weather was much more temperate. Upon discovering the perfect climate for amorous behavior, they raised their families in my bedroom: walls, floor, windows. I don't recall actually seeing any in bedding, so I guess they don't have the brain capacity to think of that sort of comfort. They were all over the house: little moving dots on all the walls and ceilings. And eventually we found dozens of little crispy corpses to sweep up, when they could not get outside to escape (and freeze, as it was cold weather they mistakenly reproduced in.)

and, Oh, yes... P.S.: I did eventually get the broom and sweep up the little crunchy things...

No comments:

Post a Comment