Sunday, June 2, 2013

another 499 mile weekend...

I've been to SC again. To visit my pen pal in Greenville. I have decided I should try to get up there to visit about once a month. Never knowing when it will be the last day I will have to spend with him, I know I need to make my trips up there more frequent.Even though it is one of those things where I spend more time going and coming back than I do when I get them - it's always a good day spent together.

Left here on Friday afternoon, and went up to Callaway Gardens to volunteer at their summer Market. I need to do a better job of reminding myself: with those Callaway people, it's all about the money. I know they have been doing the Market thing for  several years, but have never been when on a Friday afternoon when it is going on. Mostly because you have to give them an arm and a leg at the ticket booth just to get in the gate.

But now that I am on the volunteer program, and if I can keep my hours up, will continue to get a free pass, I should be  more interested in going...

I wanted to go to work at the Market, even though I did not know what they would have me doing (and included the qualifer that I would need Adult Supervision). I did not work their annual plant fair this past spring, like I did last year, and need to be going, participating in things that will help me get the minimum number of volunteer hours credited. Working the Market counts double. So that should inspire me to want to go on Friday afternoons and be useful.

When I inquired, I was told that the vegetables we had in big half-bushel baskets for sale were grown in Mr. Cason's Garden, just up the hill from Robin Lake. Several different varieties of squash, cabbage, onions, potatoes, some little pots of kitchen herbs, two different kinds of lantana, a dozen or so banana trees. I assume other things as different crops mature throughout the summer, as well as other things from the greenhouse as they get of the size to sell/transplant. It was an interesting day. Probably not nearly as crowded as it was the previous weekend on Memorial Day.

I went on up to Decatur on Friday evening, and spent the night. Got up early on Saturday and on to SC. Wishing every time I get out there on the twelve-lanes-wide interstate, it would be as pleasant driving as it was at 6:00 a.m.at the crack of dawn on a Saturday, when I was practically the only one out there!

We had a good visit, kinda doing nothing all day. We always walk around in the yard and look at what's growing. He likes to dig, plant, watch stuff grow just like I do, so there's plenty to talk about: flowers, vegetables, things creeping over and through the fence from the neighbors. I took a little pot of lantana I bought at Callaway, as I did not think he had one, and we discussed where to best locate to get lots of sun. He's got tomatoes and pepper plants in the back yard, and a bumper crop of perennials that came back from a packet of wild-flower seeds he planted last year.

I hope it does not make you sad to discover I bought gas up on SC for $3.09 a gallon, when I started back to GA. Got back to Decatur about 6:30, pretty much worn out from all that driving. Spent the night, but had to get up to be back for early church and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment