Saturday, June 29, 2013

everything I know about Publix...

Actually, everything anyone would want to know about the chain of supermarkets with just over 1,000 stores is to be found by Google-ing and reading wiki-pedia. Which is where I got most of my info., at least the part that has not been implanted firmly in my brain over the past fifteen years. What was that movie where the guy had to write all the hints/clues on his person with a sharpie (or did he get tatoo'ed?) after his short-term memory shorted out?? I do not have the Publix logo permanently inked on my person....

Anyway, in the process of trying to discover what the current price is for stock, I read much more than I ever wanted to know about the company. Started by Mr. George Jenkins, in WinterHaven FL, back in the early '30's and remarkably successful despite the ongoing financial crisis of a nationwide economic depression. Now all over the southeast, and just edging into North Carolina after spreading into GA, AL, SC and TN.

The company decided for itself (probably not really random, but we'uns are not privy to the reasoning of the Board of Directors) it would pay dividends semi-annually, beginning this year. So the funds all the stockholder/associates had come to expect in June, are now paid half in June and half at the end of the year.
I just got the June fund, and deposited it in the bank, due to having decided to no longer fritter it away. I am remarkably adept at frittering, but think I should start plowing it back into more stock instead. So I got the form and completed it, to purchase as much as I could with the dividend amount I received for the stock I already own.

And discovered that today is pretty much the last day of this time frame to purchase. So had to run to the store with my form and check to try to get my envelope on the truck that will deliver goods, and return to the warehouse tonight. The envelope has to be marked received by June 30, and it's too late to put in the USPS. So I hope it gets on the truck, and someone somewhere will stamp it 'received' tomorrow, so the company will accept my request and let me purchase more shares during the 'open window' for buying.

Oh - Company is completely employee owned, and stock is not traded on the stock exchange/open market. Only employees/associates and Board members can purchase/own; if you decide to sell, you have to offer it back to Publix.There are a gazillion shares out there - I have some that split 1-5 several years ago. Nine facilities scattered over the southeast that produce the Publix branded products - everything from baked goods to milk/ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment