Sunday, June 2, 2013

is it funny? or not so much...?

I had to work today. Went in right after church and thought I would be leaving it 4:00, but somehow did not get finished until nearly 6:00. I kept thinking: 'I'm about to get done here', so I never took a lunch break, but I just could not get finished, and spent much longer there than I meant to...

When I started home, I was tooling down the four lane on Macon Road, and saw something in the street:"Is that a turtle?" "No, probably not." "Or maybe it is?"  "Was that a little turtle?" "Yeah, I think so!" "Better go back check" As the president of the Turtle Rescue Squad, I looped around, and stopped (In the Middle of the street) to help it across.Then decided to put it in the car instead, bring home and put out in the woods, where I thought it would be safe.

You know you have been so entertained by the addition of photos (thank you, tech support) you are expecting that I would take a picture or two, before freeing it in the back yard. So I brought it in the house, thinking when he poked his little head out, I could get a couple of snaps on the kitchen floor, and would then:  out the back door you go!. I got busy putting a meal together in twenty minutes, and failed to pay attention....

It has completely disappeared. Someone here (the worry wart) is quite alarmed. I've looked everywhere. I'm certain a turtle the size of my hand could not reach the doorknob to get out without the assistance of my opposable thumbs. So where in the world/house can it be?

I'm almost scared to even think this: but it reminds me of one time when I was a child, growing up in that house on N. Court St. and there was a little un-announced turtle disappearance. I had one of those little turtles about the size of a silver dollar, you could buy at tourist-traps all across Florida, long before interstate highways, during the years of winding two-lane highways and stops at every intersection along the way.. Someone must have given it to me as a Florida souvenir, or maybe I brought it home from a vacation. It got loose in the house and has not turned up yet. Reminding me of those awful stories you hear about people turning baby alligators they thought they wanted, but didn't loose by flushing them into the public works system of NYC.

So: if I can find the dang thing, I will take a photo, and help it out the door!



(It turned up, several hours later, when it made so much noise with sharp claws, scritching around in a gift bag that has been tucked up under the desk, on the floor since Christmas - so I did get photos, and put it out in the back yard. So is it funny... or not so much, mostly depends on who you ask... I personally thought it was hilarous, but the other person here probably would not have gone to bed if it had not been skritch- skritching around in the bag trying to get out....and now can think with complete confidence it will not be getting in bed with him tonight...)

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! Turtle on the loose! That's really funny. Hope it can't climb up into a bed. - Francina

    ReplyDelete