Tuesday, June 25, 2013

occupational hazard?

When I went to work on Sunday I was supposed to be there from 9 till 3, with a thirty minute break. After the dust settled, I was there from 9 till 5, with no break: I kept thinking 'I am going home', but it took all that time to get finished. And I didn't really get everything done that needed doing - I just got to the point that I'd had enough and could  not do any more.

Pretty much 'same song, second verse' today. I went in at 8, and thought I was going to leave at 12, but that did not happen. I worked all morning in the prep area, and then had to put out warehouse shipment, plus more that came onFedEx truck from wholesale floral supply company in Atlanta. Plus getting some very thirsty plants watered. So it was 3 before I clocked out. And, as usual, did not get done everything that needed attention.

I am fully expecting to a stern 'talking to' as a result of always staying much longer than the time I am scheduled for. But when the choice is completing the work or walking off and leaving things un-done that need to be taken care of, I always seem to end up tipping over onto the 'conscientious' end of the scale. I don't know if any of my fellow employees feel like they don't really have enough time to take care of everything that needs doing. It could be that they are super-aware and constantly reminded of the fact that the company does not want to be paying anyone for over forty hours a week. That would not be a problem on my paycheck: I usually have less than twenty, unless it's a major holiday (and not so likely with that, until Feb. 14 comes around again.).

There in no doubt in my mind I should be expecting a conversation with my department manager. He will talk about the fact that I seem to always have several more hours on my time card/pay check than he has allotted me in any given week. I know the different departments have labor 'budgets', are tasked with figuring out how to best use the number of hours they have to work with. So it's just a matter of time before my name comes up on the radar as being one who is forcing the 'time budget' out of whack.

It's problematic: do a good job, no matter how long it takes vs. half-hearted, and get out of there on schedule? Hazards of doing a good job, I guess? Conscientious and diligent is not all it's cracked up to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment