Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday, day # 5

I missed out on 1/8 of the fun today - with a dental appt. at 8:00. But got there around 9, and they were amusingly happy to see me. As if I had been on a long, extended journey, and just returned from the south seas into the arms of my dearest friends... that's what spending four days with little kids will do! So happy just to see me show up: wish I could get just ten percent of that when I walk in the door at my house...

We played, we had sundry fun, we did the Yelling Game again - a wonderful remarkable way to burn off energy, but not for the faint-hearted or those with sensitive ears. They made these amazingly cheezy rings by threading several beads on wire and handing it back to me to wind the ends of the wire together. Possibly the most counter-productive activity I got involved with all week long. One of those 'kids are done in 45 seconds things', standing around waiting for me to get caught up. 

Then sort of STEM/science experiment where they had to build a 'bridge' out of a sheet of copy paper across two plastic cups and see how many pennies they could pile on before the bridge collapses. Interesting, but would be really neat with other kids who could come up with creative ways to reinforce the paper. We made ice cream in a bag, with milk, sugar, a dab of vanilla flavoring, and a lot of shaking the zip bag with salt and ice in it. Which I found to be an excellent experiment in tediousness. As is most bead threading if you use beads that are small enough to try the patience of any adult.

Closing ceremony: Mamas and Daddies were invited to come at 4:00. Girls got patches for their 'archery' experience (you can imagine how that went with little people about ten feet away from a target that was taller they some of the girls, shooting three foot long arrows). A second patch for learning about the planets when they played outer space bingo. Some sort of certificate for surviving a week of fun at the Little House - and were all gone by 4:30. The End of Day Camp. Thank You Very Much.

No comments:

Post a Comment