Friday, June 21, 2013

Wednesday, day 1 ( 6-19-13)

Actually it starts on Tuesday afternoon, when I drove up to Decatur to spend the night. And got up to get to the airport at 6:30 for a 7:30 flight. The lay of the land and process of getting from the front door to the concourses has completely changed. It has not been that long since I last took off from ATL, but I guess they continually change stuff around to keep us on our toes.


I was pretty impressed with myself for remembering to pull out my little zip-bag with liquids and put it in the bin for inspection. But still got 'pulled over' when I forgot about the ink-pen in my back pocket. And when it was pointed out to me, about having something suspicious, and I checked, to pull it out - then they said since I had been back in my own pockets, I had to be checked for hazardous materials.So I was given the opportunity to be handled/frisked and/haz-mat'ed in order tobe approved for travel by  TSA. And all this up-close-and-personal inspection before seven o'clock in the morning.

We were properly boarded and had an unventful flight to BWI. Found the shuttle that takes travelers (for $6) to the outmost stop on the Greenline, where you can board a commuter train for in-town. We were deposited at the train station, to be confounded by the ticket purchasing procedure.As you study the confusing info. on the ticket machine, it appears that you have to pretty much buy a blank ticket, then decide how much you want to load your card with, depending on length of stay, and desire for travelling around the city...

My smart travel organizer figured it out, without even asking anyone. We bought tickets, got on the train ,to get to the stop where we walked three blocks, dragging suitcases. to the home of P's friend who kindly opened her door and let us in. Thank you, so much: K.

Deposited our luggage and headed back to the trains to go into the Washington Convention Center, for P. to check in, meet with cohorts and come up with a plan of action for the session they will present this morning (and actually Meet Face to Face for the first time.) P. had plans to go to the convocation of the convention, so I was left to wander... always a risky proposition: but, (here's the A-ha) I went to the Answer Desk, talked to a man who has them ALL and got a city map. He told me how to walk over to the nearest intersection and down the street to get to... guess what? A museum. You are Not Surprised??

I spent several hours in the American Art Museum, that includes the American portrait gallery. Interesting.  I had to make myself quit. Went back up Seventh Ave.  blocks and accidently discovered the big ornate entrance to the several block area that is Chinatown. And on to the Convention Center, where I was to await P. when the Opening Session ended.

We talked about going to find something Chinese to eat before getting back on the train, and walked down the street, ended up going into an Irish pub near that big ornate gate, and having beer and a bit to eat. With my handy dandy map, we discovered an entrance to the Metro system just across the street, so went down in the Rabbit Hole and onto a train to head out. P. is learning how to negotiate the trains, and I am learning how to  keep her in my line of sight.


No comments:

Post a Comment