Friday, June 28, 2013

it was most 'disadvantageous'....

I'm not even sure that is a valid construction. I was pondering the subject matter, and thinking it might just be something I made up to accurately describe the circumstance... So I went to check with the overly wordy Thesaurus and discover that there are any number of excellent substitutes that can be used as replacements - all of which adequately provide enough understanding without you having had the actual experience. So...

I'd taken all the boxes that would easily cram into the back of my car, that seems to be used as a pick-up truck/hauler-arounder on a frequent basis. With a plan to go and start sorting through fifty years of accumulated toxins: agricultural chemicals, insecticides, fungicides, along with numerous cans, jar and bottles with no identifying marks half filled with suspicious, jelled substances. Plus lots of cans of paint of various sizes and colors, and sufficent solvents to clean up any mess they might make. An assortment of remedies for problems I have never even heard of....

It was my intention to bring all that misc. back here, so I could take it to the semi-annual recycling day for hazardous materials the city and a local non-profit sponsor. (They also will take prescription meds, and give to public safety officials, probably the DEA for disposing, on a periodic basis.) I got it boxed up, and put in my car... never thinking that inhaling deadly fumes confined to a small space could be hallucinigenic.(sp?). I had to ride all the way home for three hours with all my windows cracked open, and the air going to try to keep the toxic fumes at bay. Or at least keep them far enough behind my person that I would not be guilty of 'inhaling a controlled substance'...

I find that words like: untimely, awkward, inopportune, inconvenient, annoying, troublesome, and bothersome could all be applied - especially when I realize the boxes of 'bothersome' chemicals are sitting in the carport, fumigating the area there. Where they will be until I can find out when the next recycling event for haz-mat will occur and load the 'troublesome' assortment back into my car to dispose. We are nothing if not 'discommoded' by the rank odor of the stuff that must be some sort of insecticide. I unintentionally put my  bag  of personal stuff on top of that particular box when I was loading up to travel yesterday afternoon. And debated about stopping to gag any number of times on the drive.

So when I came in, not only was my person saturated with the 'annoying' odor, my bag was also. And I heard: 'What is That Awful Smell?' At first, I thought he was referring to Me! But eventually decided it was in reference to the aroma coming from my 'disadvantageous' travel supplies. We really need airing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment