Sunday, June 9, 2013

puttering around wallyworld...

There are people who are so opposed to conglomerate discounters that they will drive right past wallyworld to shop other places. I personally know someone who has said 'No' to WalMart, adamantly refusing to give the Low Price Leader any business. Point well taken. But it is a pretty good place to go and mostly, usually get everything on the list with one stop.

These old folks have just returned from a trip to grocery shop. Completely out of character, for the guy who is securing his outer perimeter and re-checking to be sure all the doors are locked well before dark. We ate first, then left the house about eight  o'clock. Only time he is out in the dark is if persuaded to go to a movie, and always, somehow surprised that the sun went down 'unexpectedly', when he was in the theater...

I usually get odds and ends when I am at work two or three days a week, but I'd been composing/compiling a list for several weeks, something worth a trip to get resolved. And now that we are out of cat food, and cannot go to bed without knowing that there is 1) milk, 2) toilet paper, 3) cat food in the house, I said we might as well go and get it all squared away. The above abbreviated list contains things that I have learned you do not want to wake up in a house - without. I've been stockpiling #2 for some time, so we'll  not run short there, but we were actually out of #1 and #3. I don't want to be the one to have to tell the cats, who have likely been up and mumbling for hours by the time someone opens the door, that there is Nothing To Eat. I need to be confident there is some fishy flavored treat available to distribute when I get up, so I have to make sure we are well supplied before I get in bed.

P. totters across the parking lot and gets in a little elec. cart, to peruse every single aisle, so he won't miss a thing. I don't know if it is because I work in a grocery store, or I don't like to shop, or maybe just that my feets hurt so badly I want to cry after being on them for eight hours - but cruising up and down and up and down and up and down has zero appeal to me. I go for specific things on my list.. I know where to find what I need, and then go to where I know he will show up, prop up and wait for him to inspect every item at eye level to the left and right. He found beef jerky (loaded with salt and preservatives), diet Coke (minus nutritional value) V-8 juice drinks (loaded with sugar), cashew nuts (loaded with fat and salt) and a giant economy size bag of Hershey's Kisses(no details necessary for this one). He will probably say he bought the Hershey's for me - and I don't even like milk chocolate!


No comments:

Post a Comment