Sunday, June 9, 2013

Saturday... the rest of the story...

Me being the one who inadvertently over-committed myself to various activities, fortunately not precisely at at the same time, but a bit close for comfort: had to get up early to make a great big, huge cut flower arrangement that I chose to Not make on Friday night. I'd generously offered to do this big decorative piece for the opening reception of the Artist's Guild Annual Show, and had to get it ready to travel on Saturday afternoon. I have this big silver urn that is perfect for occasions when someone needs something gaudy and grand in the way of cut flowers, won as a prize at a golf tournament in 1987, and never actually used to chill a bottle of champagne.

I'd bought over forty dollars worth of cut flowers Thursday afternoon, and knew it had to get done on Friday, as I was committed to the garden party most all of Saturday. But when I spent the day having 'way too much fun with the Girl Scouts all of Friday, there was nothing left of me to be able to put the flowers in the urn on Friday night. So... I was up at 6:00 on Sat., getting that done, to be ready to take downtown to the CSU Art Department gallery for the reception. I also knew it would not fit in my car! So I had asked Amy, who was the very anxious organizer of the show, to let it ride in her van. She came by and got the flowers at 4:00 and drove us down to Uptown.

I know Amy is delighted it is over. Since I don't 'do art' any more, I did not have anything in the show, and did a lot of hanging around until the food was gone, which is pretty much the only reason the crowd left at 8:00. I wondered if we would have to turn out the lights to make them all leave - especially when I discover that the Artist's Guild is not only footing a $2100 bill for the buffet of finger foods catered by the monopoly-owning Aramark, but also paid for alcoholic beverages: by the glass. I am still simmering about that. The idea of an 'open bar' is a mistake for any number of reasons... and having the strapped-for-cash Guild pay for passers-by to imbibe is inexcusable and absurd.

Any way - it went well, and 'a good time was had by all'. I was barely able to flop into bed when Amy brought me home at 9:00. And had to get up and go to work at 10:00 on Sunday. So I'm going to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment