Friday, June 14, 2013

so... what's going on in Decatur???

I drove up to visit Ms. Seldom Seen. A beloved cousin I rarely see, who has been living the life of the City Mouse for several years. And now she is moving away, to a new job in a different town, so will be even more 'Ms. Seldom Seen'. But then again - maybe not so....

She will be living in the same town as my pen-pal who I try to visit once a month. So even though she will be residing at a greater distance, it could happen, just maybe, perhaps, I might see her more often than I do now: when she is only two hours away! I'd emailed to ask if I could come and spend a/the day to help with sorting/packing, and she replied she would be having a guest from out of town, but would love to see me if we could get together to share a meal. Moving away from the city the end of the month, and starting with new employer in July.

We met for early dinner: my cousin Ms. SS, accompanied by her friend, M.E., who was in town visiting for several days. Though we were both raised in a family where the evening meal was 'supper', in this modern world, don't really know the Proper Designation for that which we ate between five and six o'clock, especially due to the fact that: though there was plenty of Eating, there was no actual 'meal' involved! Has 'supper' got lost to political correctness, or maybe just a piece of vanishing vernacular, gradually sinking into the southern swamps to be forever lost, banished from common usage? I'll sure miss all those tomato and mayo. sandwiches, as well as chicken salad served on a bed of lettuce with a big glass of cold hyper-sweet iced tea.... things that are my definition of supper!

We had wonderful appetizers, consisting of my fav-o-rite thing on the menu: bruschetta. My taste buds go on strike when it rotates off, due to not being properly 'seasonal'. Some of us had warm brie and toast, and others just pigged out on the freshly chopped tomato-mix on toast, topped with warm fresh mozzarella.  We might have been imbibing just a wee bit, and gotten the least bit out of hand. At one point I believe I admitted to being a little 'mouthy', which was due to two glasses of beer.

I had the best intentions of following up the appetizer sin with a big bowl of salad greens... when along comes this immoral plate full of: french fries topped with oh-my-gosh melted pimento cheese and bacon!  It could not have been worse if we had requested bacon ice cream.  While putting more in my mouth, I kept saying: take that away!  And then there was this dessert I had been warned about: (thankfully it came as a very small (extremely rich) single serving with three spoons) raspberry cheesecake with shortbread crust and a huge mountain of whipped cream on top. Yep. That's it.  

So... what's going on in Decatur: eating. Hmmm.... what's for breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment