Thursday, June 27, 2013

latest report from 'shirt-tail on fire' person...

I had been pondering this quandry for several days and surprised when it sort of resolved itself. I knew I was going to south GA on Thursday, and needed to be in Valdosta at 11:30.. But could not decide whether I'd be better served going really late on Wednesday night, and driving in the dark, weary and bleary-eyed. Or to go early on Thursday, and then have to get up early the next day to drive three hours before going to work.

It all worked out when I discovered I could leave home earlier than expected on Wednesday afternoon: the pot-luck supper I'd planned for was cancelled.  So not only was I able to load up and get away in a timely manner, but I already have my dish prepared for the dinner on Friday night. Unintentionally.

Completely out of character for me is the fact that I was actually prepared for the meal, had my 'covered dish' ready to heat and haul; had spent time in the kitchen cooking up a large batch of made from scratch mac-n-cheese. I probably should not be admitting this: but never in my oh-cook-of-vast-experience life have I made it Not From A Box. I'd been wanting, wishing, craving some really, really good, authentic, genuine, truly home-made mac-n-cheese, and perusing recipes - but had yet to satisfy the craving.

I Know I should not be admitting this: but I made some several weeks ago that was so awful the only way it was consumed  was by the addition of spaghetti sauce. It was That Bad. And sad too, for all the expense, time, effort and stirring that went into the preparation.

I got off the road by dark on Wednesday, and got up this morning to do a bit of bush-whacking in the sadly neglected, overgrown yard. I did not get the first mosquito bite, for which I am very thankful. Skin-so-soft works great. But those dang gnats were so bad, I could hardly see to saw and chop. And you should have seen me, dancing around in the yard every time I would see another grasshopper that needed stomping on, so they will not be reproducing in droves next spring.

Went over to Valdosta to take care of business, and visit a bit. Then got back on the road. I had boxed up a mystery, smelly assortment of cans, bottle, jars containing a wide variety of who-knows-what, found on a shelf in the workshop. Gotta be lots of haz-mat items in anything that smells that foul. And the rank odor followed me all the way home, since I put all the boxes in my car to bring for the city to recycle. There is an opportunity a couple of times each year for people to deliver old cans of paint, ag. chemicals, solvents, oil, etc. to the recycling facility. So I will stack it in the carport to be odiferious until time to take for disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment