Tuesday, May 2, 2017

after spending most...

...of the day in my car, I have concluded: Dorothy was right. Remember in the Wizard of Oz when she gets wants to get back to Kansas (it was all a dream, right?) and she is instructed to say: "There's no place like home". I left home at 7:00 a.m., and got back to town at 6:30 p.m., ready to flop into bed. But if I go to bed at 8:45, it is certain I will be awake at 4, watching the numbers change on the digital clock.

Drove to south GA for a once a year luncheon. I do not see this assortment of locals in between these annual gatherings, though they meet once a month most all year long. I have good intentions, and  write it down on my calendar to remind me. But just do not seem to be able to get there more frequently. They are an agreeable, pleasant bunch, making me sorry when I do see them, that I can't get myself organized enough to be present more often.

I also wanted to go by and see an older couple who were influential in  my life. People I think of often. An older couple who have a daughter my age, folks I consider models, devoted to family, church and community. They are close to the age of my parents, and still plugging along. I guess they have been married for nearly seventy years. Amazing. If they are of that era, you can assume in declining health, but still together, propping each other up.

We had a good visit. I had called yesterday to ask about stopping by after lunch, and was told that the wife is not able to talk or walk, so feel like she must have had a stroke at some point. And I know he has been treated for some form of cancer. But there they are, hanging on. Extremely proud of adult children, and grandchildren who have overcome some profoundly affecting obstacles in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment