Sunday, March 1, 2015

in between...

...all the things I did yesterday: getting to work at 11 for a full day of cooking demo., and going to the gospel music concert last night, I also went to a funeral on Saturday. For a man who was kinda', sorta' a co-worker. He started working in the produce department at the store where I am employed several years ago. After apparently badgering the store manager for many months to hire him. Agreeing to start at the bottom, as a hourly-paid clerk.

I knew that everyone (including me) is hired as a part-time person to start, and could only hope to prove worthiness to be eventually invited to become a full time associate with assorted benefits after a 'trial period' of ninety days. I am not sure if this is still true, as I have seen several team members come and go and come around again. I think this guy may have been changed to full time sooner, due to his vast experience in the grocery business: at one time was an assistant director of a competing chain. He retired from that position, and did other things, but eventually relocated to be close to family, and settle in Columbus.

I heard about six months ago he had been diagnosed with cancer, of a variety that is not often survived. At the time he was the produce manager of a store on the north side of town. He fought it for as long as he could, but finally lost that battle. I'd been writing postcards, sending words of encouragement, and wanted to attend the Good-by Service. And found out a lot about him I did not know.

It is interesting to observe, that along with many church services, funerals have become more casual and much less formal. People will be invited to come and talk, tell remembrances of the deceased, share stories to comfort the bereaved. And family members get up to talk about that fondly remembered brother, father, sister or son.

 The thing I remember about D.W. is that he, as an 'older' employee could, and did work circles around the younger men. Could put a young adult male to shame with his diligence, desire to do well, interest in performing at the highest standards. I don't know if it is just being more mature, with world/life experience, that makes some people I see so willing work. But the people I observe in the workplace who are most diligent are generally older folks, of the age that they know they do not have to 'prove' anything to anyone. Yet they seem to be the ones with the strongest work ethic, and the ones most willing to give a dollar's labor for a dollar's pay.

And he was always smiling. Always cheerful. I did not see him after the diagnosis, and understand from hearsay he was a very private person, so know he would not have shared personal hardship info.  But the months I worked with him, he was always upbeat, always pleasant, every minute of every day. He left a legacy of a loving family, and I know he will be missed - and I think he had some traits they will always remember, and tell stories of their dad, husband and grandpa for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment