Monday, March 30, 2015

over the weekend... part 1

...after my day at Callaway Gardens plant sale, I was fully prepared to drive to Decatur to spend the night. I'd set my alarm to be up at 5 a.m., and get organized, which required quite a bit of effort, due to planning to be away from home for several days. Made some snacks to take along and share with fellow travelers, and left home packed up, ready for Adventure.

It was a pleasant sunny day at Callaway, and I found myself helping a woman who has a growing business of growing things who lives nearby, someplace close into Pine Mountain village. I'd met her before, probably at a plant show/sale. It is not likely she can support herself on plant sales, but I don't know much about her and what she does with her time, other than Blue Meadows Farm. She had a friend there helping her haul plants, who had also been drafted to go to a plant sale in Perry (about 90 miles away in central GA) on Saturday. Somehow got overcommitted and needed to have some assistance. I stayed and talked plants with customers, sharing info. till about 5:30, when the crowd thinned. I said I was going to depart, and hoped they had a successful sale, good weekend.

My best intentions about NOT buying anything came to total failure. I bought three plants from her, and asked a friend if she would take them to her house when she went back to Columbus. I will have to get them in the next couple of days, and hope to get them planted this week, while it seems we will have spring showers. I wanted more, much more, but was able to resist other purchases, with great effort. I am still wishing for another blueberry bush, and will poke around at garden shops in the next couple of days to see what I might see...

Headed to Decatur where a comfortable bed awaited on Thursday night.  After standing there in the re-purposed circus tent, on the concrete floor all day, it was something to look forward to. Happy to be sitting down, when I made the two hour drive into the city.

 We went out to dinner, and I crashed pretty early, due to having gotten up so early, along with plans to arise and be on the road early on Friday morning. I did see the newest crop of chickens, and a deluxe, luxury chicken coop in the backyard, comfortably at home in the city.  Chickens are so goofy, and amusing to observe. Pondering their odd behavior, whilst remembering: they are birdbrains of the first degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment