Thursday, March 12, 2015

that's over for me...

... I am glad to end the responsibility of being the driver for the cancer treatment patient. I don't know precisely why it was so stressful, but it was. I was really uneasy and anxious about doing it the second time. Partially, I suppose, due to the fright we both had when she fell out the door and into the flower bed on Tuesday. Still ambivalent about reporting that, worried about repercussions if I do or don't tell the ride-arrangers about the mishap.

But somehow today was so anxiety inducing, I had a headache by the time I returned her to her house and got back home. Not sure why it was such a nerve-wracking experience - Tuesday should have been the day for coming undone. But I guess just knowing what could have happened, how it could have been a true tragedy, with frightening results from the fall, I was especially worried about how the scenario would play out today.

It was pretty much a non-event. Though I am thinking she sat in the waiting area a lot longer than on the earlier visit, to the point that I went to speak to the receptionist, it was a smooth process. I left her at the medical center to visit her daughter on Tuesday. Today she returned home, when she could not contact anyone at the hospital. And got safely back in the house. Now that I know how easily she is unbalanced, you can be assured I kept a firm grip on her until she was safely in and sitting down.

There have been a couple of emails requesting transportation from the ACS but nothing that fits into my limited schedule, so I have not agreed to do any more patient driving. Feeling like I will probably continue to do this, but not right away. My work schedule is random, and thoroughly unpredictable. Plus I have some days off coming up, with interesting and fun stuff to do that will take me out of town. So I am sure I will get over the nerves that generated head pain, and thankful I completed my first 'mission' with out self-destructing.

No comments:

Post a Comment