Wednesday, March 25, 2015

in spite of...



various health-related issues like struggling with chronic lower back pain and trick knee (which I always associated with things with rabbits out of black silk top hats and pulling a hundred feet of brightly colored scarves out of your ear) I have been stricken with Spring Fever.  I spent a couple of hours out in the sunshine today, puttering around in the yard. Not particularly productive, as I have discovered how tedious and convoluted the process is for me to get from a sitting on the ground to a standing position. But enjoying warm weather, greening everything (especially the undesirables) and compulsively stirring up the dirt.

I went to Sam's to do the weekly shopping, and found myself detouring through the garden shop at Wally-world next door, feeding a compulsion:  buying over forty dollars worth of perennials. Several of which I got planted in pots today to hopefully bloom by my front door. And the rest to be given away to someone who said she would love to have bloomers growing along the bank, edge of the creek that periodically sluices through her yard.

Then I got the wheelbarrow and picked up tree limbs, sticks, stuff that continually, incessantly falls out of trees into the leaf mulch in the yard. An endless task: by the time you think you have gotten to the end, it's time to go back to the beginning and start over. Sort of like playing Candyland with a kid, or possibly just living in a house with small children and expecting to get all the laundry done.

Dug up dozens of wee little daisy plants that have migrated, or reseeded, or volunteered everywhere. To put in pots and tend, water, nurture until I can deliver to Decatur, where they will find a good home. The ones in the bed between the house and driveway are desperate to bloom. If they could get a good rain overnight, I expect they would pop open at first light.

The only thing blooming right now, though the daisies look ready to put on a show momentarily, is this nifty little ground cover I discovered several years ago. When I was volunteering at the local botanical gardens fund-raiser/plant sale and fell in lust with Mazus. An early bloomer with tiny white or lavender flowers, and wee small leaves that spreads like crazy. It's not to the point of getting out of hand, though I can see how it could eventually have the term 'invasive' attached to it. Right now: it's just pretty, happily blooming by my front step, showing off the colors of spring. Oh, my goodness... Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment