Friday, March 13, 2015

mystery ingredient/cookin' at work...

... will be a big surprise when you study the recipe. I thought it might be a typo. when I first read it. Could not imagine who came up with that strange combination of foods, and had some serious doubts about the tastiness of the end product.  And was surprised when I gave it a try... not bad. Not great, but interesting and edible.

The protein in the meal was salmon, which I knew I would not want to eat. I am not a seafood person. It just all tastes too 'fishy'. But tried to make it according to the recipe and got lots of positive feedback. Truthfully, by the time the recipe gets to the print shop I am convinced it  has been tried, improved upon, tested and perfected to the point that it is practically fool-proof. Almost. I am sure someone with no cooking knowledge whatsoever could some how manage, even with all the right ingredients, manage to make it inedible, but it would be difficult.

The side dish to go along with the salmon was potato cakes, with some really good, sharp cheese grated in. Surprising that both the dishes on this card were to be cooked in the skillet. I don't think I have ever seen a recipe card that required every thing we prepared to be fried. It's just unusual for these R and D people who are usually aiming towards tasty and nutritious (certainly not focused on the thrifty end of the scale) to have the entire meal soaked in oil, rather than being a bit more conservative in the prep. arena. But pan fried salmon, covered in herbed butter, with potato cakes is the menu for this week.

Irish Cheese Potato Cakes

2 oz. deli aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tbs. fresh chives, finely chopped
1 cup sauerkraut, drained and finely chopped
1 cup panko bread crumbs.
2 cups refrigerated sour cream/chives mashed potatoes, drained
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 Tbs. canola oil, divided
1/4 cup sour cream

Place bread crumbs on sheet of waxed paper on work surface. Combine potatoes, cheese, chives, sauerkraut, salt and pepper. Shape mixture into eight 1/2 inch thick patties. Coat both sides of patties lightly with panko crumbs, press with fingertips to evenly coat.
Preheat large nonstick saute pan on medium high. Place 1 1/2 Tbs. oil in pan, let heat, then add four potato cakes. Cook  3 - 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and hot. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining oil and cakes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Well... can you believe it calls for sauerkraut? I did not want to tell people that, or they would not even be willing to give it a try... so I usually just said: potato cakes with cheese to lure them in, then would tell the rest of the story after they had taken the sample and had the fork in hand. I think they pretty much all were willing at they point to give it a try and mostly said: Hmmm.....

If you do it at home - be sure you drain the kraut, so your mixture is not too soupy. And don't be in a hurry to turn them over too soon - they will definitely fall apart and turn into potato soup. Patience. And more patience - and set the timer to make yourself wait. 

After doing it several times on Wednesday, and going back to make more on Thursday, I finally made some I was pleased with. They were tasty and pretty. Admitting I threw some in the trash on Wednesday when I was just starting out - they looked so sad, I would not serve them. But so pleased with some on Thursday, I took a photo. Sorry, I don't know how to put it in the blog, or you could see the pretty potato cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment