Sunday, May 25, 2014

travelin', part 4...

The subtitle of this one should probably be smuggling, except if it were to show up in the heading it would probably attract unwarranted attention from the local authorities. Personally, I consider it to be perfectly harmless as it did not involve endangered animals or controlled substances. But others, tasked with enforcement, would probably feel differently about the matter. They were agricultural products that are normally given a through inspection before they cross over several state lines, and if pressed, in the most narrowly interpreted letter of the law, would be contraband.

We went to a little roadside farm market, where there were some beautiful, locally grown vegetables on sale. Hard to associate the word 'beautiful' with beans and onions, greens and strawberries, but they were: fresh, clean, just harvested right there in Hanover County and really attractive. So, though the strawberries did not refer to a blonde beauty contestant, and beans do not refer to some skinny runway model, they were gorgeous. I can see how people just stopping in for milk on the way home, would be tempted and buy lots of things they did not intend to prepare and consume for dinner.

I bought a coleus (shades of RG!), and a pink geranium. The coleus is one that I had several years ago, as a gift from a fellow plant lover, very unusual shape to the leaf, and variegated foliage. The geranium is a shade of pink I have not seen before. You usually find them in a sort of orange-peachy salmon color, but this one is more of a true pink, what my family would refer to as 'Barbie pink'. Closer to the color of 'Double-Bubble' bubble gum than something with more yellow in the tint. There were a lot of things that caught my eye I did not purchase, knowing I could  not transport back to GA.

I took them out of the little plastic pots, dropped them in plastic bags, and wrapped them in the bubble wrap I had used to take those framed (contraband) family pictures on my trip north. Secured in my suit case, where no one took the least notice, to even bother inspecting. Not a soul asked me to open the luggage for them to get a peek at contents. I noticed a TSA 'sniffing' dog in the airport before leaving Richmond, who did not seem to notice. So I just kept quiet, hoping I was not wearing my 'guilty' face.

Safely arrived at my destination with only a few of the petals from the geranium having shed in the bubble wrap. Remarkably intact for illegal importation. I've already put them in pots, and got them watered, located in a shady spot to adjust for a few days. I hope they will thrive, do well, grow and get big enough for me to take some cuttings, to make more. I'd love for them to 'multiply', as I really like the gorgeous foliage on the coleus and the unusual color of the Barbie pink geranium.

Tell me I look like the picture of innocence???

No comments:

Post a Comment