Friday, May 9, 2014

cat's tale, ongoing...

Lucy the cat is with us still. Seems to get skinnier each day, possibly having the weight of a 'soul', but hanging in there. I've been giving meds, with varying degrees of success since she first went to the vet with various complaints (mostly mine) back early in the year. She is theoretically taking these teeny little half pills plus a little squirt of a liquid from a syringe twice a day. As I said with only marginal success.

I came home from work at lunch yesterday, something I never do. To try to persuade her to take the wee little pills. About the sizle of a pin head. That she generally accidently consumes when I hide them in a small bit of wet (foul-fish-smelling) food. But lately she had become quite adept at avoiding the meds. Either eating around it, or spitting it out on the floor. So I pick it up, and try again, to tempt her by sneaking it in another small mound of fishy smelling wet food. After a couple of tries, I generally give up, thinking she is full and won't eat any more anyway. So she does not get both of the pill-type meds twice a day. Frustrating to be out-foxed by a five pound feline...

Then there is the problem of the liquid. She does Not like to have that stuff squirted in her mouth with the little syringe from the vet, used to measure the Lasix-type fluid. So I thought: mix in a small portion of milk. Which occasionally works, but less and less as time goes by. So there are days when she might get only half of the required doseage of that as well. Which is why I decided to come home in the middle of the day on Thursday, to try again. Because she had been up wandering and talking so much all night, that she was not awake and interested in food when I had to get going.

All with limited success on Thursday. And again this  morning, when she spent the night outside. So I guess I will be taking my lunch break by coming home to give the meds another go. I decided yesterday afternoon to give her enough attention last night to keep her awake. So she would sleep good. Remember having a baby that took such a long afternoon nap that the kid did not want to go to bed at the proper time? So wide awake and full of 'let's play some more' that the little person was up and going strong, long past what was a normal time for bed? I was trying to avoid that with Lucy, and then it turned out she wanted to go outside when I wanted to hit the sack. So she spent the night sitting on the car in the carport instead of being an 'inside cat'.

No comments:

Post a Comment