Monday, May 5, 2014

Sunday afternoon, part 2... more about GSUSA

I am not one to toot my own horn. There does not seem to be any way to write this without it sounding like a 'brag'. Which is something that does not come easily. Which is something that well-raised, respectable people have no need for. So it is with great reluctance that I continue to type, sharing news and info. It's somewhat uncomfortable to continue....

I recently read of a publicity campaign involving well known, readily recognizable personalities. People who are not constantly followed by paparazzi, but taken seriously in the business world. Women with high-profiles. Strong, capable, respected females who were telling the media of their desire to promote a plan for young girls to realize that they are not being 'bossy', just assertive. And becoming more willing to occupy the space as leaders in our culture and society. Space they are entitled to fill, and jobs they are fully qualified for.  You may want to correct me, but I have never thought of myself as being 'bossy', and not particularly assertive. Some of this is surely due to being raised to be polite and respectful as was common to my generation of GRITS. I would like to believe I am getting better at standing my ground, as opposed to being run over by dominating personalities. Likely due to advancing age, and awareness of not giving a whit for what others think.

So I went to that Awards event down on St. Mary's Road at the UMC, to recognize nearly two dozen  Girl Scouts. Girls from our area who had been so diligent and completed the process to gain recognition for their work. Being awarded the Bronze, Silver and Gold GSUSA awards for their efforts and accomplishments in bettering our community.

And was recognized myself. I got a twenty-five year pin as a Girl Scout. So it's obvious they counted back to when the adult who is now in her thirties first became a Brownie. And then I got awarded for being such a reliable volunteer. I'm not really one who seeks out recognition, certificates of accomplishment, publicity. 'Thank You' is sufficient.  But it was sweet to be recognized.

I love the idea of Scouts, what it does for girls, what it means for them as they get older and find it is more than just a 'club', and realize while they are having fun, being together with friends there is more than 'fun' here. They are learning skills they carry for a lifetime. We had a great time learning to thread a needle and sew on buttons at day camp last summer. But Girl Scouting is far more than that. They are developing  life-long skills.  The ability to cooperate, the self-discipline required to complete big projects, the motivation required to see things they can change for the better, set goals and see the difference they can make: those are things they will carry with them throughout life. That's why I love the idea of Girl Scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment