Saturday, May 3, 2014

saturday...

...is not usually a day of employment for me, unless the day prior to some holiday. But I was on the schedule to work today, and somewhat baffled as to why I was there. But then I discovered the store had decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo on Tres de Mayo.  Possibly thinking there would be more shopping traffic on a Saturday than on the actual day of the fifth.

So... that explains it: I was the demo. person for the produce department. And assigned the task of making guacamole, putting a dab in a little cup with a couple of shards of corn chips and inviting passers-by to sample. I told the department manager if he would get a sombrero I would wear it, so he offered to buy one if I would go across town to purchase it.

Then I discovered one in the store up at the food demo. booth. So I 'borrowed' the one that was decorating the Aprons counter. Then decided that a big black manly Latino mustache would be a nice touch. So I made one out of a piece of black styrofoam, like the trays the slices of cantaloupe are displayed on. And stuck it on under my nose with a bit of masking tape. When I finally pulled it off, it was far more painful that pulling off a band-aid - possibly as tear-inducing as getting one's upper lip waxed.

But it was quite an attention-getter. I had several people want to pull out phones and take my photo. And several people who actually wanted to have my manly mustaches. And several more folk that I offered to loan it to, when they have occasion to go someplace really fancy. It was such a big hit, conversation starter, I did not put it in the trash when I finished my assignment. Think I will save it for Halloween - it will be a nice touch to go along with my clown outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment