Saturday, May 24, 2014

travelin'... part 3

Had to get up before the crack of dawn again, to get to the airport early enough to stand in line and get the counter agent to print my boarding pass at RIC for return flight to ATL. I was completely oblivious to the fact of choosing a seat before leaving home, that I should have made that decision when I made the reservations months ago. And, once again, my only choice when I tried to print the pass last night was for those seats over the wings where the emergency exits are located, with a tacked on fee: extra charge for an inch or two more of leg room. Which I was not willing to pay. It all worked out for the best, as I probably got a better seat when the agent at the AirTran counter made the decision for me. Closer to the front of the plane, and quicker getting off at the gate when we arrived at Hartsfield.

My printed info. was that it would arrive at 8:02, though we hit the ground at 7:30. I was concerned that my ride would not be there when I got back to the terminal, but it took nearly half an hour to make my way down the concourse, escalator, plane-train, escalator and into the baggage retrieval area. I had not checked any luggage, but knew that was where I needed to go to be picked up. I've told people over the years the best meeting place is out in the median, in front of the terminal, where folk get dropped off. There is a large replica of a piece of luggage, covered with expired license plates from all over the US, stuck on a short pole, designed to be an eye catching piece of art - unique and quite noticeable - that is the designated pick up spot.

 I just forgot to mention that when I got put out several days ago, so she did not know I would make my way out into the sunshine, and wait at the big, multicolored, fake suitcase, breathing carbon monoxide from all the vehicle exhaust. So she met me in the terminal. I was happy to see a familiar face.

It was a good trip, enjoyed visiting with those seldom-seen folk, but as you can readily imagine, and completely agree: the best part of any trip is getting safely home.

No comments:

Post a Comment