Friday, May 9, 2014

more cats with more tails...

So: we were down to our last cat, right? And she's  been on her last wobbly legs for months, right? Well, guess what? We accidentally have at least three more. I had convinced myself that the big bulky black and white one that has been skulking (great cat word!) around for months was a big part of the reason the carport was always smelling like (pardon me) cat piss. From him coming around and helping himself to the buffet when we would leave food out in the bowls for our cats. Then playing the part of a bully, and spraying to mark his assumed territory, while terrorizing my little unassuming, mild mannered cats.

What an unwarranted surprise: kittens. So that big tom-cat is not a tom. But 'mom-cat' instead.

I walked over to the neighbors' to ask if that might be her cat. She said no, but that she had been feeding it. I thought to myself: "well, $%&*. If you are feeding it and it knows to come around and enjoy a free meal, it is pretty much your cat."  I told her it had reproduced, and she asked if the kitten was black. I said the one I saw was grey, so it has apparently had another litter.

I will try to contact the shelter tomorrow to see about getting a trap to try to catch it, and take them all in to the pound. I think I could catch the little ones, although when I went to look for them, and they were backing up in the corner, there was a lot of teeth-baring, hissing and spitting going on. Amusing from something so small, but I expect they could be pretty fierce if you were to attempt to pick one up without gloves. There is a program locally that will de-sex feral cats and release. You just have to get them to the place that will do the work. But since I have no desire to have any more cats, I hope I can trick her into getting into a trap so she will be relocated.

No comments:

Post a Comment