Wednesday, May 7, 2014

it was a very short 'day'...

...when I went to work for an hour this morning. Worked most all day on Tues., just rolling along, doing my job, minding my own business, trying to be un-noticed, stay below the radar. When the produced manager asked me on Tuesday what time I was scheduled to work on Wednesday. I said 'none'. So he asked if I would come in and help with a  monthly inventory that happens in all the 'fresh' departments.

For some totally obscure reason the store has the inventory people come once a month and do inventory on all the merch. in the deli., bakery, meat/seafood and produce department. With floral being under the produce banner, they count all the plants, fresh flowers, balloons, containers. Dept. mgr. was desperate to make sure the counters did not overlook anything that was considered salable merchandise. Apparently I did such a good job when they counted the whole store he wanted me to be there again. I'm sure there is a reason for corporae to think all that stuff needs to be counted every month, but the expense of having those people go to every store (close to 1,000) and do that on a  monthly basis does not seem overly practical or good stewardship, when every store is thoroughly counted, front to back every three months.  But what do I know??

So I got up at 5:00, to go in at 6:00 and spent an hour with the girl who was doing the scanning of barcodes for everything she could find. I just now, as I was sitting here typing, thought of something I did not tell her to count. Whatever....

No comments:

Post a Comment