Thursday, May 29, 2014

planting stuff...

I've been puttering in the yard when I've had time in recent days, trying to get some stuff that has been sitting around in pots in the ground. Thinking it will stand a better chance of surviving the summer planted, in good rich dirt, with plenty of mulch to insulate from the heat than it will in pots. But, foolish me, I have also been putting some other things deliberately in pots. In several big planters to sit out near the front door, so they will need lots of water, to keep healthy and hopefully blooming all summer.

I went to Kmart after work this afternoon, and bought more stuff. What is the matter with me? Have I completely lost my mind? Yes, possibly. Bought a little six pack of red vinca, to put out in the bed in front of the house, so they will be colorful and inviting, near where the butterfly bushes are gloriously blooming, happily attracting hummingbirds. And some hosta to put out in that raised planter to the left of the front door, where it is always shady. Some of last years' plants did not come back, apparently not surviving that (completely unnecessary) miserable cold we endured over the winter. I am very partial to variegated. And had spotted some at Kmart several weeks ago, so went back primarily to check out the hostas.... somehow got lured into buying over $25 worth of things to plant, water, fertilize, nurture, talk to, encourage, tend, provide attention, etc....

And accidentally bought: the red vinca, lantana, a six pack of red salvia the hummers will love, and some yellow blooming, daisy-like gazinias to put in the big planters there on the brick coping, adding color to the assorted herbs: oregano, thyme, creeping jenny along with some purple verbena. I hope it will all do well, grow and be happy there. Hoping also that these are all things the deer do not care for: I saw one standing in the driveway last night when I came home at 9 o'clock, that did not seem at all alarmed about being discovered mosey-ing across the yard.

Got everything planted except one of the lantana, and several other things that have been lingering around for weeks, months (possibly even years) in pots, waiting for me to provide the holes, good dirt, and motivation to get them in the ground. Now comes the challenge of keeping everything watered. I've learned to give everything a good start/fighting chance, digging out that hard non-nutritious red clay. And replacing with my mix of good stuff: peat, vermiculite, manure, osmocote, potting soil.( This from the person who used to get a hearty laugh watching people actually pay good money for a bag of dirt!)

Yesterday's digging/planting included several pots of mini-roses that I have rescued from certain death/dumpster over the years. Mostly blooming red, some yellow. I've kept them watered, and started planting them in the same bed where all the hyacinths were so pretty in the early spring. I won't be surprised if they never bloom, due to the deer browsing through and finding the buds a tempting treat. But they have done remarkably well in spite of the general ignorance/neglect they have received in pots up near the house. We've not had rain recently, so I have been dutifully dragging the hose, hoping to get them established for lots of summer blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment