Friday, May 30, 2014

maybe I should just...

... change my mailing address, since I stay on the go as much as I am home. I am in Decatur again. Left home mid-morning to do a little project at church, and then get in the road to drive north. My daughter has a friend, who she was very close with in their high school years, now living in Savannah. He is graduating tomorrow from the Savannah School of Art and Design. After several years of floundering around, he has done remarkably well. I have heard her speak of him in recent years, how he seems to have found his niche, and loves the creative expression he finds in cinematography. He's the guy who got on a Greyhound bus in GA, and rode to the west coast to 'break into the movies'. I suspect there is much more opportunity and likelihood of regular meals in the direction he has chosen: behind the camera.

I'd asked her some weeks ago if she was planning to go to the commencing, and she said she had not thought to. I suggested he would be delighted to see her, and thrilled to think she would make the effort to attend his graduation. Not knowing tickets were needed, and they are at a premium. But she found enough to get us in the door - and I will assume that the tickets and numbers of seats available will come out even when we get there. So we will get up in the morning and drive to Savannah for the day.

She said she had talked to the friend's dad, suggested that she would bring the makings to cook dinner for everyone after the ceremony. So we've been to Sam's Club to get the necessary ingredients for a meal tomorrow night - probably for less than half the expense of a dozen people going out to eat someplace. We will go to the graduating at 4:00, observe the pomp and circumstance, and then go back to the duplex where he lives and enjoy a meal together: compliments of the chef!

Which means it will be one of those occasions when there is more time invested in coming and going than actually being there. But it should prove to be a pleasant drive, weather permitting, and an opportunity for friends and family to join in celebrating a considerable achievement. Congratulations, BL!

No comments:

Post a Comment