Tuesday, May 20, 2014

about my wurkin'...

In  a recent conversation with my oldest daughter we were discussing how people seem to have such monumental difficulty getting themselves to work in a timely manner. I laughed and admitted that work is the Only Place I am capable of arriving on time. Most every other place I go, I have a really hard time getting there at the appointed hour: church, dr. appts., meeting folk for lunch, etc. But I do get myself to the point to punching my number in the time clock at the earliest possible minute.

When corporate made a decision that employees could clock in fifteen minutes early, prior to the time listed on an individuals' schedule, they inadvertently opened the door for me. I had been getting so little scheduled work time, I started taking advantage of the opportunity to  add fifteen minutes to my paycheck. If it should occur four times in a week, that adds an hour to my pay... not much, I agree. But when I was only being allowed to work five hours a day x two days a week., adding an additional hour made a difference.

And now that we've been through several holidays, times when I could work a whole lot more than ten hours a week, I've continued to try to get myself in the door early, and standing by the time clock, pointer finger poised. I'm not a slacker, sitting around killing time, but get there, and get started. Clock in, put on my' haz-mat gear' (slip-proof shoes, waterproof apron and hair net: most of which protects the buying public as much as it protects me!) and begin the work day.

Most every day I'll be making salads, and doing prep. work in the produce department before getting to the floral work needing a bit of attention.  Which takes at least half my day, before I can even look at what has come in from the warehouse for the floral shoppe. That will usually include: cut flower bouquets that have to be recut and put in buckets of water. Buckets of water that always need to be scrubbed and refilled. Plants in cartons that need light, air, water, often in sleeves that must be removed. Roses that need to be recut, water added, displayed in cooler. All manner of plants in need of watering. Plus my number one job: premier customer service.

All in a days work. It's often a struggle to get it all done in six or eight hours, so I do not even slightly fathom how a manager would expect it to be done in five hours. I expect there are not many people out there who have any interest in being thankful for their bosses. But I am. I had a very difficult one for a long time, and it is such a joy to work for one who is agreeable, congenial and pleasant to work for. If you do have a person who supervises your daily activities in the workplace, and find that individual to be someone you respect, you feel good about... you are fortunate. I know there are lots of people who hate their work, do not enjoy their coworkers and are chronically frustrated with their situations. I'm glad that's not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment