Saturday, May 17, 2014

going to the 'Fox'...

I've only been on couple of occasions to events at the Fox Theater in mid-town Atlanta. Once many years ago when I was a chaperon for a group of high school students who were viewing the "Phantom of the Opera". I think it was a traveling show. I was really impressed, even from the great distance up near the clouds and stars where we were sitting.

And have been a time or two since the daughter who lives in Decatur moved away from home for life in the city. Shows we thought might be good, knowing the experience of going to see anything at the Fox would be time well spent. Even went one day on a 'behind the scenes tour' (that was not as behind the scenes and below the stage as I had hoped) into places a ticket for a show doesn't cover.

The building was built back in the 1920's, I think. Really a delight to look at, with very unique architectural detail. And at one point, probably mid-century, in an effort to 'modernize' the uptown area, was slated for demolition. To build another high rise I am sure. But lovers of the history, lovers of architecture, those with fond memories of days spent in that grand theater, those with a bigger view of city life, banded together to start a 'Save the Fox' campaign. I don't know the details, but they raised enough to get the pigeons out and renovate.

In talking to a dinner companion last night, I heard a funny tale. She reported part of the saving involved signs all over town that said 'Save the Fox'.  I don't know if this was billboards, on bumper stickers or actually on license plates as part of the fund-raiser. But she said that people who were unfamiliar with the campaign would come to town, and ask: 'Why are you saving foxes? What is it about those devious carnivores that has suddenly become so desirable?' Hilarious, no?

We are going to see/hear the live version of "Prairie Home Companion". I'm not the world's biggest fan of Garrison Keillor. But think it should be fun. And believe I will either become a dedicated fan or have enough to last the rest of my life. I do occasionally, on the odd Saturday, happen to catch it on the radio and enjoy listening, in a mildly amusing sort of way. But have never deliberately set aside from 6:00 to 8:00 on a Saturday evening to listen to the radio.

More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment