Saturday, May 10, 2014

nesting...




 
This bird nest now has five eggs. It only had three when I took the photo. You should have been here, peeping around the corner of the house when I tried to take the picture. The first couple I took, it was so dark (no flash on my phone camera) that you could not see in the nest. So I went in the house and got my little flash light that has a stretchy band to go around my head. And put it on, adjusted the light so it would shine right in the nest, and took more photos, so you could see the little brown-speckled eggs in the nest. I think it is some sort of house wren, so it's nothing all that great... except that she built her nest in a hanging basket.

It is in a pothos that has been around for years and years. I  periodically pinch the runners off when they get too long and root them to make more plants. Bring it in the house in the late fall, when TP gives the alert about freezing weather, and move it back out on the porch in the spring. It's only been back out side for several weeks, and I had every intention of repotting it, and adding some new starts from the long runners I cut back when it came inside. But now I will have to wait until the babies hatch and fly away.

This make three bird nests I know of around here. One in the blue bird box my brother sent last year, that I finally got up on a pole in the late spring. And the one that is up on the side of the house under the eve, made of mud and moss, literally glued to the wall above a window. And now this one that I found in the pothos plant when I went out to water it, and got startled out of my skin when a little brown bird came barreling out right in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment