Sunday, August 30, 2015

another book report...

... when I found: "The Dive from Clausen's Pier" by Ann Packer. Randomly taken out of the stacks at the branch library, another of those things I got immersed in and then accidently discovered myself reading three books at the same time. The story is about  a young couple, in their early twenties,who have been together since high school, and the relationship is wearing thin for Carrie, but Mike is still crazy in love. He has a tragic, traumatic accident when he dives into shallow water, while they are picnicking with a group of friends over the summer. She had been debating about ending their couple-ness before the accident, but after he becomes completely disabled and totally dependent, she is ambivalent at best, and hauls around has monumental guilt.

Takes off on a wild hair, and ends up in NYC, looks up a friend from back home to find a place to live, then gets involved with a guy in the city...no spoiler here. It's a really good read, with a well fleshed out group of characters - makes you think you really know these people and you are involved in their lives. You can't help but want to give Carrie advice, to offer help, make some suggestions for how she might somehow 'have her cake and eat it too?' But she is only there between the covers of the book and you really can't communicate your interest and concern.

You might wonder how/why I do so much reading? Make so many trips to the library? I do not watch TV. And read myself to sleep every night. Words, words, words. Books, books, books.

I love to go to movies, but when I work till eight o'clock at night I can't go. I'm too damn tired. And when I have to get up at five a.m. to be at work at six o'clock, I can't stay up late enough to go.  

I don't see many/get to movies often. And cannot watch them at home. Maybe Santa will bring me that thing that lets me use my computer for a movie screen?

No comments:

Post a Comment