Friday, August 14, 2015

cookin' at work...

...when I got back to The Real World. I made this recipe three times on Thursday, five times on Friday and five more times on Saturday. So yes, I think I had it pretty well memorized. But for the life of me I cannot remember what it was - so in reality not actually all that 'memorable, I guess.

The one I can tell you about is the one I cooked on Wednesday of this week. It was a pork roast. I did not taste it, as I could not be convinced to actually put the porker in my mouth. But had some really positive feed back. A number of passers-by, when asked if they would like to have a 'taste of this yummy new recipe', looked at what was in my casserole dish and asked if it was chicken. But if they had bothered to look at the sign on the front of the stand, would have seen it saying 'Pork' and something like sun-dried tomatoes with capers. I was surprised by some of the remarkably strong opinions people have about capers: both positive and negative. I'm take-it-or-leave-it, but there were people who asked for extra and people who refused to even take a taste due to the inclusion.

It was really simple. Using a pound pork roast, sprinkle with seasoned salt (Lawry's was what we used), and brown in a skillet. Coat it with half the 'finishing butter' that has been flavored with the sun-dried tomatoes mixed with capers and put in a pre-heated oven for twelve to fifteen  minutes. That's about it.

The pork loin comes pre-packaged in a vacuum sealed bag and weighs in at about two pounds, so I used one half each time I made the recipe. You could double, or put half away for another day. I told many folk if you wanted to take the package to the meat department, they would cut it in half for you, and package it so you could put the part you didn't cook for supper tonight in the freezer for another meal. Plus it's on sale this week, so now is definitely the time to buy.

Most of the recipes we demo. come closer to being a complete meal, with the addition of a vegetable or carb. added. But this one had no rice or noodles included. But it did have a very strange item added: cold cucumber soup. That might or might not have been appetizing....

No comments:

Post a Comment