Sunday, August 9, 2015

a book i read while traveling...

...and would have finished in a day, except for having to go to work when I got home, returning to the real world'. I'd taken a couple of paperbacks, intending to dispose of them if I got finished to lighten my load. But liked the one I read so much I could not let it go. And brought it back to GA, though I intended to lighten my load for the return trip. It was one of those Sue Grafton mysteries, with the dysfunctional PI Kinsey Millhone, named for letters of the alphabet. I haven't read them all, but this one was near the end: "W for Wasted."

The book I was given to read on the flight home was "The Ginger Tree" by Oswald Wynd. It was a paperback and pretty old, according to the discolored quality of the cheap newsprint it was printed on. A really interesting story. Written as a journal, from the point of view of a woman who was going from the UK to China to marry a man she barely knew in the earliest years of the 1900's. Travel that distance was by boat, taking months to reach China on the far side of the globe. She spent most of the rest of her life in China and Japan, had two children, who were both forcibly taken away from her when they were quite young.  It progresses through her letters to her mother in Scotland, a friend who is married to a French diplomat and years of her journal entries over half a century, through two world wars. No spoiler here.... A really neat page-turner.

You get to the end of the story before you ever find out what the significance of the title is, and I am still sort of wondering. The actual ginger tree was such a non-entity, of practically no import, that I am even now baffled as to why the author gave it that title. It is a really interesting story, and worth the time to read., when I

No comments:

Post a Comment