Friday, August 14, 2015

randomly reading...

...a book I picked up, haphazardly off the shelf in the library. I took my computer in to get advice, and had to wait twenty minutes while the desk holder-downer finished her shift at the check out. So walked into the stacks and picked up a likely suspect to read while I was in a holding pattern.

Recommended! I finished it this morning, after reading on it for several days, around working hours. Actually took it to work place on day to read on my lunch hour, and generally read myself to sleep every night (or in the wee hours when I wake up and know I could be lying there in the dark forever, unable to shut my brain down to resume rest.) "Esther", which as you might assume is based on the character from the Old Testament. By Angela Hunt, who is apparently a writer of a number of fiction books based on biblical stories. This one even has some questions in the back, that could be useful for book club readings, or the type thing a women's study group would gather to talk about.

Hunt has a pretty extensive bibliography listed so she has obviously done her homework. Lots of references to document a time in history where there was probably very little actually written about daily life, only primarily recordings of major events and personages. But a really well written book, with lots of well developed characters that bring the story to life in a way that makes it hard to put the book down.

No comments:

Post a Comment