Wednesday, August 19, 2015

cookin' at work...

...over the weekend when there was a 'steak fest' on the schedule in addition to the usual recipe to be prepared and served numerous times. There was nothing remarkable about the steaks, per se, but there were a couple of different dipping sauces to accompany the meat. The recipe calls for a New York strip - and you know if you start with a good tasty tender cut of beef, it's pretty difficult to mess it up.

Did you know that the meat department guys love to be helpful? They will prep. your fresh meats to your specifications! What ever you ask, they will attempt to do. If you want to buy the pork loin and have them cut it in half, so you don't have more than a meal, they will package so you can put 1/2 in the freezer. If you want your chicken breasts packaged separately for single servings, they will do that. If you want your steak trimmed off fat before you get it home, they will do that. I am forever taking meats back there to have the icky stuff trimmed before I start my prep and cooking. Saves me time, and effort of trimming off the inedible parts after it is cooked and I am ready to serve.

You coat the steak with a combination of chili powder, brown sugar and garlic salt, so by the time you have cooked it for about eight minutes in the skillet, it has a crusty covering due to the sugar you rubbed in before you put it in the pan.

The dipping sauce recipes:
1/2 cup salsa verde plus 1/4 cup prepared guacamole
1 cup sweet and spicy barbeque sauce plus 2 Tbs. chipotle pepper sauce.

I would have probably liked the green one, but did not try either as I did not have anything to dip, other than my finger, and that would not have gone over very well with management.

After four hours of that, I went back to the pork roast recipe over and over that I had cooked so many times I had it memorized.

No comments:

Post a Comment