Tuesday, August 18, 2015

more things on that list...

... are pretty commonly enjoyed, but now that I can gracefully decline, I choose to not eat stuff like:
 chocolate cake. I don't like it and hope I am polite when it is offered, and will decline gracefully. I could put it in my mouth, but really don't want to waste calories on something I don't care for. Oddly enough, I tell anyone who will listen that I think the bakery located in my workplace makes the best wedding cakes I have ever eaten - flavor and texture wise - if I never ate another bite of chocolate cake it would be too soon.  

Buttercream icing. I worked part time in the bakery some years ago, spending part of my week in the floral dept., and three days a week in the bakery, combining the time in the two to create a full time job. When I watched the baker make a huge vat of buttercream I discovered what goes in it, and immediately quit eating it. The bowl they use in the big commercial mixer must hold fifty gallons. You start with a big ten pound block of buttercream 'base', that is shipped from the warehouse frozen. Let it soften to room temperature, and add ten pounds of butter. You will notice that ten and ten equal twenty, so you are looking at twenty pounds of fat. Then you beat it and beat it and beat it some more. To incorporate enough air to make it fluffy so it almost fills that fifty gallon stainless steel bowl. But it is still all fat, though it gets quite fluffy. Similar in texture to whipped topping - and about the same amount of nutrition.

Did I say 'oreos'? I have eaten a lot of them, but never liked them. Not even dunked.

No comments:

Post a Comment