Friday, August 28, 2015

volunteer driver...

..for another patient needing transportation to the treatment center. She lived in the uptown area, and needed a ride to the Amos center for her appointment today. I was not too sure about finding her house, so actually arrived about thirty minutes too early. After the last time, when I took my rider to the wrong doctor's office for his appointment, I knew I needed to allow plenty of time. For me to get lost and found before I even arrived at the residence of the patient. Though I doubted the directions I had map-quested, it was not difficult, as it was near an elementary school I am familiar with.

Mrs. G. was very personable and a willing conversationalist. She had retired from teaching some years ago, and has been widowed for about five years. She and her husband had enjoyed travelling in their retirement years, after his career in the Army, another in civil service on post, then  as the first black man hired to be a city bus driver. She was looking forward to her 65th high school class reunion this weekend - thinking there were four or five still living out of a hundred graduates. I bet she has some really interesting stories she could tell about life in Columbus in the 1950s before the intergration era.

We got to the appointment with ample time. I told her I would take my library book, sit in the lobby while waiting. She nearly caught me taking a nap when she was finished, and was ready for her ride back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment