Saturday, March 1, 2014

my new boss...

You will find it strange that I stayed at home nearly all day yesterday, and did not come up with the first topic about which to expound. So Friday, at my house, was surprisingly a 'blog free' zone, due to my inability to find something to have an opinion about. Unlikely situation there, as I can pretty much spontaneously generate an opinion about most anything, whether I have any knowledge or not. Maybe due to all the years I spent with someone who seems to have an abundance of opinions.

I'd hoped to find a little work with the school district, but nothing came up - so I had a day in which to putter around, being profoundly unproductive. I did go for a walk, did plant a few bulbs that have been languishing around since back in the fall, did make a pan of brownies to take to a pot luck supper. (Most of which came back home with me, but were left in the car to take and let the guys at work consume - keeping both me and the local diabetic from eating something we should not put in our mouths.)

Re: work. I think I may have been a bit premature with my claims of infatuation with the new management team I will be working with. J. said he was planning to give me more hours so I would be working a bit more, creating additional income. And part of the plan would be to schedule me to come in and do 'demos', where I would be offering shoppers samples of different items to try, in an effort to boost sales in the produce department. Thereby justifying scheduling me for extra work.   

Publix has generated a logarithm/formula involving profit, loss, overhead expenses. This provides a number for how many labor hours a store is allotted, and actually looks at history of sales, and determines the schedules for the associates in any given store: deciding how many cashiers and take-out people are necessary at any given time. It is based on how many items are sold/scanned at registers at any given time: IPLH = items per labor hour. So if I was to ask people to 'taste-test' some sample that lots of folks then put in their shopping carts, and  increased the number of produce items (something Big Brother is watching/counting) that would justify me being on the clock, and paid for more time.

I was not at all excited about the prospect of working on a Friday afternoon or Saturday - I can find plenty of more interesting things to do with my time, especially on a weekend. But thought I should go along, as I do want to keep my job... Wait and see how things pan out...

But when I was finally able to access the schedule in the computer yesterday, I found me scheduled to work on Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon, and Wednesday afternoon. Guess  I will have to put  my game face on and make the best of this 'new broom sweeps clean'. I will admit to being Very Impressed with seeing the new guys cleaning things in the produce department that have not been done so in years. Seeing them scrubbing floors and tile walls is remarkable. I clean things on the rare occasions when I have a few minutes to spare;  things I know the full time workers never bother with. But was really impressive to see the bosses roll up their sleeves and get out the scrubbers to attack sticky walls and undersides of tables that have been ignored for years.

So we'll see how this goes. Hope I am still employed after the dust settles (oh - and he ordered enough feather dusters for everyone to have their own personal duster - never know when you might feel the urge to dust!) and the new wears off.

1 comment:

  1. Comment about being able to spontaneously generate an opinion on most anything make me LOL.

    ReplyDelete