Tuesday, March 18, 2014

trying to be thrifty...

with my person: saving bone mass. I'm still in a quandary, not yet decided about what to do. The idea of putting some chemical in my system (no matter how much research has been done, and testing submitted to the FDA to document safety) is thoroughly off-putting. I cannot quite get comfortable with the idea of having some substance inserted through a needle that is supposed to protect bones from calcium loss for year. What if it produces some side-effects that I can't tolerate? How do I back up? Get it removed?

I have wondered, and pondered, and stewed over this for so long, that I have talked myself out of having this 'procedure' done. But now: what to do about my rattling, declining, fragile bones. I've mentioned grandmothers with obvious problems due to advanced age coupled with lack of knowledge about preserving bone health. I know I need to be doing more than just taking the cal + D, drinking milk, eating yogurt. And seeing what sort of problems grandmothers had in their latter years makes me even more aware of the necessity for a concerted effort to actively preserve what is decreasing in volume, protect what I have.

I've had conversation with staff as well as dr. about this, and the recommendation is to take an oral medication. That's a convoluted story: two trips to the dr. office, script reportedly faxed three times, three trips to the drug store, and no Rx yet. Conversation today with the pharmacist - who says the Rx is written for something she has never heard of and has no listing for in the resources available to the pharmacy chain.

Waiting on a call back from the dr. office... to be continued...Don't want fluffy bones, or have them turn into dust bunnies when I am still needing to use them, but can't figure out what to do to keep them strong???

No comments:

Post a Comment