Sunday, March 23, 2014

certificate of accomplishment...

Even though I did not stay for the whole time, that amusing guy with the Marshal's office gave me a certificate. I didn't even look at it to see what it says I am 'certified' for. I was doing pretty good. Getting the shots remarkably close (impressing both myself and the instructor!) to the center of the target. I think there were a couple of 'drop-outs' and that all the people who had attended the classroom part of the training were not at the range on Saturday.

I was late getting there: due to a) having locked my keys in the house, and waiting for the man with the key to come and let me in the door, plus b) a ridiculous detour on the road to the range. They could have told us the road has been under construction for months, but noooo - they thought it would be amusing to aggravate the living #$&* out of everyone who had to go around by both elbows to get there. It would not have been nearly as annoying if I had not been running late already: Murphys' Law, right?

I got started and was doing pretty good, we practiced on targets at close range for about an hour. Took a break, and went back for more. I suddenly started having pain in my wrist. The one I had a problem with many years ago, and was diagnosed as arthritis. So knew I needed to stop and not keep doing stuff that would aggravate it. I told the instructor I needed to quit.

I'm still surprised by my gun ownership. I have moments that I will feel anxious about it, sort of ambivalent, uneasy with the idea of having that tool that could do such terrible damage to a body. But will then think: you need to be able to defend yourself. Especially following that burgling event back in the fall. As our society changes, and more and more people seem to be so indifferent to the laws of the land, and willing to live outside the law, I think we all need to be prepared to protect ourselves and possessions we want to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment