Saturday, March 22, 2014

short arms....

The hour spent with the shooting instructor at the public safety range was very beneficial. Mostly due to his level of patience with teaching people who have never even held a handgun what to do to actually hit the target. He said he has been doing this for thirty years, so it is understandable that he could make it look effortless. He said gun safety and practice is the first thing they work with on new recruits, and if they cannot be successful in that area, they are washed out. Before they ever get started on the actual training, and process of education it takes to become a part of the public safety program here in Columbus.

I know part of my difficulty is the lack of familiarity with the weapon, but it is very stressful to me. And certainly not the most minor part is the noise it makes. You probably have to have a gazillion shots behind you before you don't 'anticipate'/flinch waiting for the 'bang'. I can't begin to guess at how many shots over how many years it takes to have the confidence that the bullet will consistently land on your target. Imagine how long it takes someone who is truly competition level, like people in the Olympics to get to that skill level.

And then there is the inevitable recoil, so if you are trying to brace for that, you won't hit the bulls eye, much less target. There are lots of things to remember to make the process go smoothly and have a 'successful' shot - meaning it goes where you intend. I guess that is where the principle of 'muscle memory' comes in to play, and the idea is more ingrained, instead of requiring so much focus every single time?

I am going to meet my 'class' and the instructors from the Marshal's Office at their range this morning I am sure some of them have a lot of experience and will be much more practiced. But with my time yesterday at the public safety range, with a guy who was calm, peaceful, cautious, understanding, I feel much more capable and confident. Plus there were not a dozen other people out there on the line making so much noise and activity I could not focus on what he was telling me. I had a very good instructor - which explains why he has been doing it for ever.

It occurs to me that I do not actually have to stay there the entire time, so I can thank them, and depart at my convenience. Just like in recent years I have realized I do not have to finish reading a book I am not enjoying - there will be no 'test, no one giving me a grade on comprehension. So I am not required to complete an assignment for a score by reading a book that does not maintain my attention. Same is true here: I can tell them how educational it has been and then say 'Good-by'.

No comments:

Post a Comment