Wednesday, March 5, 2014

probably not the all time best idea...

...ever: questioning what was going on inside the head of your boss. Wondering to him why it happened: though he said he planned for me to work a bit more than the ten hours I had been doing with the former boss.  Only to discover, when the schedule was finally available for viewing, I was working nine hours this week, spread out over three days. Even to the struggling math student, and those amongst us becoming reconciled to being math impaired, that did not appear to be something that would add up to increased paycheck. 

So I asked him, on Sunday afternoon about how things were going to work out. He sounded sort of surprised upon looking at the sparse hours printed on the schedule. And suggested that I should come in on Tuesday and do my usual work.  So I went in at 7:00, spent several hours doing prep. work for specialty items on the fresh bar: making salads and fruit parfaits. Then got started on the floral freight that had to be put out on the sales floor. I kept thinking I was close to getting finished, so never took a lunch break, and was still there until 3:00 - a long day on my feets. 

I wanted to do a bit of shopping before I left the store, so bought a few things, and finally got out into the parking lot about 3:30. Where I discovered my car battery dead as a nit. Nothing. Nada. I said to myself: "Self, you will be needing a jump to get to the battery store."

I'd had such success the last time I needed road service, with the flat tire in south GA, I thought I could just call the number on my insurance card. Ended up talking to someone who works for a group that contracts for service - and discovered I would have to pay cash for someone to come and get my started. I thought the price was a bit much (though I know everyone has to get a piece of the pie), and I declined the help.

Looked around myself, standing in the chilly parking lot, and realized there had to be at least 100 cars sitting there, all of which had batteries I might use to get my car started.  Returning to the store, I asked the manager to come and help. He sent his assistant, with the keys to the manager's truck. So the assistant drove the big Dodge Ram over to the area by my little Toyo, and got out with a box that had jumper cables in it: immediately realizing he had locked the keys in the truck.  I said: 'oh,@#$%.

And had to laugh at the astounding Murphy's Law quality of the whole scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment