Sunday, March 30, 2014

workin'....too much...

When I looked at the posted schedule, it was not a surprise to find me on it more than usual. I knew my cohort/coworker was planning to take some of his vaca. days and go to north GA to visit family. So I expected to be 'plan B' while he is away. But I am so very unaccustomed to going in on a regular basis, that having to get up and dressed, to be prompt has already become tedious. I know this sounds like a complaint, possible whining to all the folk who make their way in the world on a daily basis. But I am definitely not complaining. I know there are multiple reasons for thankfulness in this: health, ability to go, job to do, dependable transportation, good work environment, to say nothing of getting paid to be there, doing what I am trained to do.

It's just unusual for me. Two days of employment per week have been the routine for some time, so having to go in six days in a row is not my usual.  Plus, as I looked at my schedule, I discovered I was expected to be there on those days at 6:00 a.m. Which seems excessive. The usual time is 7:00, or possibly 8:00, and occasionally 9:00.I think you will agree that the idea of having to get up early enough to get dressed, combed, fed, shod, to arrive at work by 6:00 sounds extreme? I was able to negotiate a change for today, so I can go to early church service, and get to work by 11:00.

But Monday and Tuesday are back to that crazy number, still dark out there in the world, 6:00 a.m. I know I will be glad of the extra pay when it comes, but honestly- could I not do that same job at a civilized hour?  I am capable of being a good sport, and making the best of it, and know that lots of people who work there are expected to be ready to start their jobs at 4:00 or 5:00 each morning. That's just not Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment