Sunday, March 23, 2014

Saturday afternoon...

I drove up to Decatur on Sat. to go along when cousin F. was planning to take the Auntie around to look at housing options as she considers relocating from Valdosta to metro area. Auntie is the sister of F.'s mom, and mine as well. The last living of four siblings, and last of that generation as well. All my other aunts and uncles of both parents are gone, with just the one Auntie left.

I wanted to go along and see the places they would look at, try to get a feel for what the auntie was looking for. I don't think she will find anything she likes as well as the little place where she lives in south Georgia. And certainly nothing with the space she has there, for what she wants to pay. Which demonstrates the difference in what the real estate markets are like in metro vs south GA, where land is cheaper, not as densely populated.

By the time I got up there, early afternoon, they had been doing some driving around and looking at a few things in the zip code where my cousin lives. I'm really concerned when I think about the auntie getting out in that traffic, as she does not seem to be able to get from south GA. to the cousin's house under her own steam. Gets confused with following directions, and calls from some parking lot needing to be rescued. I can't believe she would ever be able to navigate around in that town well enough to get to the places she wants to go. She seems to be so easily confused, anxious and often easily distracted, the idea of her getting lost in metro Atlanta is scary, as well as likely.

I went along, sitting in the backseat hoping I would be able to keep my mouth shut. Which did not happen, like I should have. They went out to look at a few more houses. And at one they had agreed with the owner to meet at 5:00 so they could see the inside. It was small, probably about one-third smaller than what she has now. But ample room, and well maintained. The woman who is selling is retiring and wants to relocate to south AL.I think a really good price for the location and size.  I suspect that the auntie will have difficulty with making a decision, and this one will soon be off the market. I am pretty sure she is not ready to make a commitment, and jump into a major change at this point, so think this may be a long, laborious process.

It seemed like every thing they stopped and looked at was unsuitable. Too big, or too small. Or too much lot, or not enough yard. Reminiscent of Goldilocks....

No comments:

Post a Comment