Wednesday, March 26, 2014

it's funny ...now...

I was driving back to Columbus from Decatur Sunday morning, leaving there about 6 a.m., when (thank you, Congress: for daylight savings time) it was still pitch black dark. Expecting to get back to town and go to early church at 9:00, before having to be at work at 11:00. And knew I would have to stop for gas.

Planning to go to a little curb store  north of I-85 and I-185 split, where the price is usually better than any other along that route. But when I got to that interchange: everything was completely dark. No signage lit. No traffic lights lit. No street lights lit. No nothing. With no electricity - there would be no pumping gas. And doubtful I had enough to get another fifty miles down the road to Columbus. Time for a little @#$%, but also decision-making.

Do I take a chance? Do I have any options? Do I hope to get back to town on fumes? Will this little Toyo. make it on the electric batteries if I run out of gas? Hope I can walk fast enough to get to work on time, even if it leaves me stranded?

Is there a station open this early at the next exit on I-185? Is there a station, period, at the next exit?
Should I go on down I-85 towards LaGrange? How far is LaGrange? Which of the two is closer/ lesser of the evils? All this running through my head in about twenty seconds, as the exit is fast approaching: point of  no return/decision time.

Decided there is going to be more traffic/vehicles traveling on I-85 towards Montgomery, on the road to LaGrange at that time of day on a Sunday morning. So if I did get stuck/stranded, more likely to find a ride/help for the stuck-ness. But as it turned out - the next exit was only a couple of miles past that fork in the road. So I got off, bought $5.03, about a gallon and a half. Tragically overpriced, but thankful to find it!  Plenty much to get me on to Columbus in a car that gets forty-plus m.p.g., and on towards town, where I immediately went and filled my tank.

Thankful for safe travels, a dependable vehicle, resources to purchase fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment