Wednesday, March 19, 2014

locating the' point' of no return...

I know what happens when you go down a street, and turn off onto one that has a sign posted: dead end. I know what happens when you go off in the woods, and are not fully prepared with all the tools, resources you need to get safely back to the starting point. I know what happens when you get up in the morning, and you have not sufficiently prepared before going to bed: find that you are out of cat food or toilet paper or milk. These three items being the absolute necessities at this house. The Rule of Going To Bed: You Never put on your pajamas without knowing there are adequate supplies for getting up. Meaning you do not want to wake up in a house with no toilet paper (no explanation needed here), or a place with noisy cats and nothing to feed them, or kids who need nourishment and find there is a quarter-inch of milk left in the jug.

I've been pondering the possibility of making strawberry jam for a couple of weeks, and incrementally getting serious about the idea. To the point of having bought some jars (after giving dozens away to people in TN), and even purchasing a box of Sure-jel to see how complicated it might be to actually go through with the project. But think that buying the berries is probably the 'point of no return'. Though I talked with a customer yesterday who said she just washes them, cuts in half and puts on a pan in the freezer to bag up when they are solidified. I guess I could do that if I get too anxious about undertaking the idea that I have been 'toying' with for two weeks.

I seem to be having a hard time making the commitment: saving the receipts for everything I have bought thus far, thinking if I can't get up my nerve to 'just do it', I can take all those components back for a refund. What is so complicated about making strawberry jam? I can't say, but I am really having a hard time moving ahead here. I think part of it is a 'going out on a limb' feeling, which is strange, as I have done it before - though it has been probably twenty five years, so maybe it's like getting back on a bicycle? If it doesn't turn into jelly, we could always have 'strawberry soup'....

No comments:

Post a Comment