Thursday, February 27, 2014

a little anecdote from driving...

When I was going up to Greenville, I was a bit worried about the drive-ability of the highways. I'd been listening to the weather predictions on public radio Tuesday afternoon, and quickly realized I did not have enough clothing with me. And when the weather report included the possibility of snow flurries, sleet and possible icy driving conditions in the northern counties of GA, that was very anxiety inducing. I was concerned that I might have a problem when I got up early in the morning to try to get out of town before traffic got too crazy.

So I left Decatur about 6, when it was not really light enough to see, and was well on my way to SC before daylight. About half way across, from Atlanta to the SC line, I noticed what I assumed to be snowflakes hitting my windshield. And got a bit anxious about the idea of driving on slick highway. Looked at the dash, and saw that the temperature out there was about 39 degrees, so decided to just hope that any falling snow would melt and not turn into slush or ice. Several miles down the road, when the snowflakes were still hitting my car, I suddenly realized I was behind a semi that was hauling a full load of sawdust, and the snowflakes were really sawdust blowing out the back of the trailer onto my glass.

It's not often that I admit to laughing at myself - but it was pretty funny when I figured it out, so thought you would be amused by the telling...can't say for sure if maybe I really did hope that the fluffy stuff hitting blowing around and hitting my windshield was or wasn't snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment