Monday, March 17, 2014

a different 1%...

... not that same 1% that is reported in the media as being the ones who hold most of the wealth of the nation. While the others are slogging along, trying to decide whether to buy a box of breakfast cereal or bag of kibble for the family pet (or maybe to put the pets out along the road to become a public nuisance/problem?) This particular One Percent refers to those people who are fairly well educated, mostly productive members of society who cannot 'do' math.

That would be me. Still occasionally struggling with that admission of being Math Impaired.  Mostly able to be reconciled to the fact that God gives everyone different gifts, and I was apparently behind the door when the math skills were being distributed. Though there are things that I feel pretty capable and confident about, no where in there is anything related to numerical ability.

I got up early this morning, partially due to being so tired I went to bed too early. And partially due to the cat who has changed her designation from 'outside' to 'on the bed'. Needing to look at my check book and bank statement: while Not wanting to look at my check book and bank statement. I would not attempt this project late in the day, when I am tired and my brain is fuzzy - a job best saved for early morning when it is as sharp as it's gonna get. I had written a couple that had got mis-numbered in my register, and not properly noted, so there was some concern about 'what's going on here?' Yes. I know. I could be doing all that on-line, but I don't. Just accept that.

I was pleasantly surprised to have everything come out even. Something that rarely happens without a great deal of aggravation,  occasional @#$%, gnashing of teeth, erasing, juggling, fudging, re-arranging, and what could probably be labeled as blatant dishonesty: except for the fact that I am doing it to myself. So if it happened that I was re-arranging the numbers in my own register for my convenience and/or peace of mind - who's to know, or care?  Not to be bragging precisely, or patting myself on the back, but admittedly pretty impressed with the fact that the register and statement reconciled on (nearly) the first try. Honestly- if you knew how much I struggle with this, You would be calling to say: Way to Go!

I was prepared to devote several hours to this aggravating once a month effort, and now that it has resolved in record time, I don't know what to do with myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment